Tender tofu is crusted in seasoned panko breadcrumbs & shredded coconut, deep fried until golden brown, and served with a simple sweet, spicy, and tangy sauce. Crispy Coconut Tofu Fries are no doubt a vegan-crowd pleaser, but you might not want to share this shareable snack. These babies are crunchy, tender and saucy – fried to perfection with savory and sweet hints of coconut and lime. Made with Edward & Sons Panko Breadcrumbs, Let’s Do Organic Shredded Coconut and Let’s Do Organic Tapioca Starch by Kim & Ryan of No Eggs or Ham.
Servings: 4 starter portions
- 1 14 oz block of extra firm tofu, drained
- 1/2 c Let’s Do Organic Tapioca Starch or Let’s Do Organic Corn Starch
- 3/4 c Edward & Sons Panko Breadcrumbs
- 3/4 c Let’s Do Organic Shredded Coconut
- 3/4 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 4 1/2 tbsp Vegan Egg Powder
- 3/4 c cold water
- 3 tbsp vegan fish sauce
- 1/2 gal refined oil, for frying
- 2 tbsps agave nectar
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsps vegan fish sauce*
- 1 tsp Sriracha
- Heat oil in a large dutch oven or electric deep-fryer to 350° F. Line the bottom-side of a cookie sheet with paper towels and place a cooling rack upside down on top of that. Set aside for now.
- Place tofu block on its side and cut into three equal slices, thus creating three flat rectangles. Leaving them in stack, cut the rectangles into 1/2 strips, thus creating many long sticks (reference photo in post).
- Place a layer of double-thick paper towels on a cutting board, carefully lay out tofu sticks, and place another layer of double-thick paper towels on top of that. Gently press down to release excess moisture. Keep aside for now.
- Place tapioca starch in a cake pan or wide & shallow bowl. In a separate cake pan, whisk together panko, coconut, paprika, onion powder, salt, and black pepper. In a third cake pan, whisk together vegan egg powder with water and fish sauce until smooth.
- Set up these pans near the fryer, with the starch being first, Vegan Egg being second, and bread crumbs being last and closest to the deep fryer.
- Place about 1/6 of the tofu sticks into the starch and gently move them around to coat, ensuring you cover the ends and every side.
- Wipe off as much starch as possible then transfer a few to the vegan egg mixture at a time. Move around to coat, wipe off excess, then transfer to the breadcrumb mixture.
- Toss to coat in breadcrumbs. Gently shake tofu to release any loose breadcrumbs, and place in the oil one at a time, working as quickly as possible to ensure each piece cooks evenly. Cook until tofu is golden brown and crispy; 45-60 seconds. Transfer to draining rig from Step 1.
- Repeat steps 6-8 for remaining batches. To avoid overcrowding, work in about 6 total batches.
- While tofu cooks, combine all of the sauce ingredients in a small bowl and stir until smooth. Serve while fresh with dipping sauce!
*Vegan Fish Sauce can be found nearby normal fish sauce in many Oriental markets labeled as Vegetarian Mock Fish Sauce.