Vegan Banana Flour Chickpea Brownies
Sink your teeth into these brownies and you would never guess they are made with Green Banana Flour and Chickpeas!
This recipe is so healthy, you can eat it for breakfast. Brownies for breakfast? You betcha.
What brownie recipe is complete without a bite shot? We opted to add baking powder and apple cider vinegar to make these more bread-like but that’s optional!
These aren’t too sweet, and are the perfect protein packed treat to eat at any time of the day.
Yields: 12 brownies
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
Total Time: 30 mins
- 1 1/2 cup Let’s Do Organic Green Banana Flour
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 cup cacao powder
- pinch of sea salt
- 3 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 9 tablespoons water
- 3/4 cup apple sauce
- ¾ cup nut butter (we used sunflower seed butter)
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons dairy-free milk (add in as needed)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- almonds (to mix in)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease an 8×8 baking dish with coconut oil or cooking spray.
- Create a flax egg by adding 3 tablespoons ground flax seed with 9 tablespoons water in a small bowl. Stir and set aside to form a gelatinous mixture to mimic eggs.
- Combine dry ingredients in a bowl: add banana flour, cacao powder, pinch of salt.
- Combine wet ingredients in a separate bowl, add in apple sauce, chickpeas, nut butter, maple syrup and vanilla extract and blend with an immersion blender or transfer into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Transfer wet ingredients into bowl and gradually add the dry ingredients in until it forms a smooth batter with no lumps. Add almond pieces for an optional crunch.
- Pour batter into prepared baking dish and smooth the batter with a spatula to make even.
- Bake brownies for 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
If you prefer your brownies to be less doughy and more bread like, add 1 tbsp baking powder and 1 tsp apple cider vinegar.