Vegan Apple Pie Cupcakes
Made with Let’s Do Organic Cassava Flour by @the_bananadiaries
These apple pie-filled caramel cupcakes are deliciously sweet and easy to make for fall!
They’re made gluten-free and vegan with a cinnamon oat flour cupcake, caramel apple filling, and dairy free cream cheese frosting.
The cupcake is made with Let’s Do Organic Cassava Flour and Let’s Do Organic Cornstarch.
The apple pie filling is made with vegan butter, chopped apples, cinnamon and cardamom.
The caramel sauce is made with brown sugar and sweetened condensed milk, you can even use coconut sugar instead of the brown sugar to keep this refined sugar-free.
The vegan cream cheese frosting is made with vegan butter, vegan cream cheese and powdered sugar.
If you love apple pie and cupcakes then you will love this fun variation of the two!
Are you ready to get your fall baking on? Grab the recipe below!
- 2/3 cup (144 mL) vegan dairy free milk + 1 tsp apple cider vinegar, room temperature
- 1 3/4 cups (175 g) oat flour + 1 tbsp Let’s Do Organic Cornstarch (swap gluten free 1:1 flour if you can’t have oats)
- 1/2 cup (60 g) Let’s Do Organic Cassava Flour
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp (120 g) granulated sugar or coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup (80 g) vegan butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
- 1/4 cup (60 g) unsweetened applesauce or dairy free yogurt, room temperature
- 1 1/4 tablespoon pure vanilla extract + 1/8 tsp vanilla powder
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 cup (120 g) chopped apples
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1 cup (200 g) vegan brown sugar
- 1 7.4-ounce can Let’s Do Organic Sweetened Condensed Coconut Milk
Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1 cup (226 g) vegan butter, room temperature
- 1 cup (226 g) vegan cream cheese, room temperature
- 4 cups powdered sugar
2. Whisk together the oat flour, cornstarch, cassava flour, baking powder, and soda in small bowl. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, vegan butter, applesauce, and vanilla. Add in the dry ingredients, and whisk just until combined.
4. Fill each cupcake liner 3/4 of the way full with batter. Bake for 25-27 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Set aside to cool completely on a cooling rack.
5. Make the apple filling. Heat the vegan butter until melted in a small saucepan on the stove. Add in the apples and spices, and reduce to medium-low heat, stirring until cooked and caramelized (about 5 minutes). Remove from heat.
6. Make the caramel. Add in the vegan brown sugar and condensed coconut milk to the saucepan, and heat until bubbling, about 3-5 minutes. Then reduce the heat to medium-low or low, and continue to stir until the brown sugar has caramelized into the condensed milk, about 15-20 minutes. Pour half of the caramel onto the caramelized apples and toss together. Save the other caramel for topping.
7. Fill the cupcakes. Carefully remove the core of the cupcakes with a spoon or cupcake corer. Fill each cupcake with 1 tbsp of apple pie filling.
8. Make the cream cheese frosting. Cream together the vegan butter and cream cheese until fluffy. Add in the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time until fluffy. Add in cinnamon if desired.
9. Pipe the cream cheese frosting onto each cupcake. Top with COOLED caramel if desired. Enjoy!