Vegan Buckeye Balls
This healthier buckeye ball recipe is made gluten-free and vegan with Let’s Do Organic Coconut Flour.
Buckeye balls are a popular candy named after the nut of the buckeye tree, native to Ohio. These are easy to make and are a healthy treat with just a few ingredients!
- 1 cup peanut butter, unsalted
- 1/3 cup Let’s Do Organic Coconut Flour
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (about 25 grams; we used Orgain)
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup chocolate chips or 1 chocolate bar
- 1 tsp Native Forest Organic Virgin Coconut Oil
- In a medium bowl, combine peanut butter, maple syrup and vanilla. Whisk until combined and then add in coconut flour, protein powder, and salt.
- Stir until a thick batter begins to form. If the better is too wet add 1 tbsp of coconut flour at a time. The batter should be thick enough to roll into balls. Chill the dough for a few minutes if needed.
- Then roll the dough into balls. Place them on parchment paper on a cookie sheet in the freezer to firm up. While firming up, melt the chocolate with coconut oil until smooth and no clumps remain.
- Poke a toothpick into the ball and then submerge in the chocolate until 3/4 of the way, leave the top exposed. Place on the parchment and then repeat until done. Pinch the holes closes with your fingers.
- Then place back in the freezer for a few minutes for the chocolate to set.