Vegan Jackfruit Nuggets
Made with Native Forest Organic Young Jackfruit by @purelykaylie
Jackfruit nuggets are crispy, tender, juicy, and a delicious plant-based meat replacement!
The easy recipe is vegan, soy-free, dairy-free, and gluten-free friendly.
They make a fun after school snack for kids or game day appetizer!
These meatless chicken nuggets can be baked, fried, or cooked in an air fryer, whichever way you prefer!
Can you believe it’s not chicken?! These jackfruit nuggets are a delicious way to satisfy your fried food cravings, while being plant-based!
You can enjoy these vegan nuggets with your favorite dipping sauce, like ketchup, BBQ sauce, or honey mustard. They also pair well in salads, wraps, and sandwiches
Snag the recipe below!
- 2 cans Native Forest Organic Young Jackfruit, drained and rinsed*
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (or gluten-free flour)
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 ¼ cup Edward & Sons Panko Breadcrumbs (or gluten-free breadcrumbs)
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp paprika
- Jackfruit: Drain and rinse the jackfruit in a mesh strainer. Transfer jackfruit to a cutting board and pat dry with a paper towel. Cut off the firm, pointy tips of each piece (optional).
- Buttermilk: In a bowl, combine almond milk and lemon juice. Whisk together.
- Flour: In a second bowl, combine flour and corn starch. Whisk together.
- Breadcrumbs: In a third bowl, combine breadcrumbs, nutritional yeast, garlic, onion, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and paprika. Whisk together.
- Prepare baking sheet: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Assemble: Create a line of the flour, buttermilk, and breadcrumbs. Dip one piece of jackfruit into the flour, then buttermilk, and then breadcrumbs. Repeat one more time, evenly coating the entire piece of jackfruit. Transfer to the baking sheet. Repeat until all jackfruit is coated.
- How to bake: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Generously spray the breaded nuggets with non-stick cooking oil. Bake for 25 minutes, gently flipping once halfway through, until golden brown.
- How to fry: Warm vegetable oil (or any high-heat oil of your choosing) in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, add a few pieces of jackfruit to the pan. Cook until golden brown, about 1-2 minutes each side. If air frying, cook for 20 minutes at 400 degrees F in the air frying rack.
- Serve: Serve jackfruit nuggets with your choice of dip, like ketchup or BBQ sauce. Enjoy!
- *Use jackfruit canned in brine or water, not syrup. Rinse and drain the jackfruit thoroughly.
- Nutritional information is for baking or air frying the nuggets, not frying with oil.