Vegan Fish Sauce & Honey Glazed Jackfruit Wings
Marinated young jackfruit, fried until crispy & tossed with a light, salty glaze. These “wings” could fool a meat-eater!
Jackfruit & Marinade
- 10.5 oz (300 g) Native Forest® Young Jackfruit, drained
- 1/4 c tamari
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp xylitol honey
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 5 tbsp arrowroot or tapioca starch
- 2 c oil (refined avocado or coconut oil work well)
- 3 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp xylitol honey
- 2 tbsp vegan fish sauce
- 1/2 tbsp buttery coconut oil or avocado oil
- In a cake pan or casserole dish, whisk together tamari, vinegar, xylitol honey, and sesame oil. Add in drained jackfruit and move around to coat.
- Allow jackfruit to marinate for 10 min on one side, flip, and marinate for another 10 min. If you have extra time, let it marinate for even longer.
- Add starch to a large bowl, add in jackfruit pieces, shaking off excess marinade before they go in. Shake and toss around to coat jackfruit evenly.
- Add 2 cups of oil to a medium-large sauté pan (10-12 in) over medium heat. Heat up to roughly 350° F; the oil should shimmer, sizzle if food’s dropped in, but not be smoking.
- While oil heats up, melt buttery coconut oil in a small pot over medium heat. Once hot, toss in garlic and cook until lightly browned; about 1 minute. Then, whisk in the rest of the sauce ingredients until smooth. Keep on low heat until ready to use.
- If desired, place jackfruit pieces on a skewer – 4 per skewer – and place all of the jackfruit in the pan. Cook until golden brown on first side – about 3 minutes – flip, and cook for another 3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove jackfruit pieces to a paper towel to remove excess oil. Drizzle sauce on top of skewers or toss them with the sauce in a large bowl.
- Serve while fresh!
*Having a grill-out? Marinate the jackfruit, skip the coating in starch part, and grill them on skewers. They’re AMAZING this way.