Vegan Caramel Apple Pie
Made with Let’s Do Organic Heavy Coconut Cream by Britt of @the_bananadiaries
Upgrade your classic apple pie this holiday season with ooey-gooey salted caramel sauce in the apple pie filling and drizzled on top!
The delicious vegan caramel is made with Let’s Do Organic Heavy Coconut Cream for the perfect rich dairy-free caramel.
This vegan apple pie is unbelievably easy to make with a perfect gooey caramel apple pie filling.
This festive pie is vegan, dairy free and easily gluten-free!
Topped with a flaky crust and caramelized gooey cinnamon apples with caramel entwined.
We promise you’ll never know this apple pie is vegan and made with better-for-you ingredients!
Is there anything more delicious than an apple pie made from scratch and just out of the oven, topped with ice cream and homemade caramel sauce!?
We don’t think there’s anything better! Grab the recipe below!
Vegan Caramel Sauce
- 10 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp (320 g) vegan organic brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) Let’s Do Organic Heavy Coconut Cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp sea salt
Apple Pie Filling:
- 7–9 large apples, skinned, cored, and sliced very thin
- 1 tbsp lemon juice, or apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp vegan butter or coconut oil, chilled
Double Pie Crust:
- 4 cups (250 g) all purpose flour or gluten free 1:1 baking flour, plus more for rolling*
- 1 1/2 cup (180 g) vegan butter, chilled and cubed
- 6 tbsp (60 g) arrowroot powder
- 2–4 tbsp maple syrup, optional
- 12–16 tbsp chilled water
Vegan “Egg Wash”:
- 2 tbsp dairy free cream (such as coconut cream or soy milk)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp raw sugar
- In a small saucepan on medium low heat, melt the vegan butter and brown sugar together until the sugar is nearly melted (being careful not to burn the sugar). This should take about 3-5 minutes. Then reduce heat to low, and add in the cinnamon and heavy coconut cream. Continue stirring vigorously until the cream combines with the sugar butter mixture. Remove from heat.
- Add in the sea salt and vanilla and stir to combine. Let sit and cool while you prepare the pie.
- Grab the vegan apple pie recipe here or on bananadiaries.com and search banana diaries vegan apple pie).
- Prepare the double pie crust and apple filling up until Step 3.
- Add in 3/4 of the caramel topping to the apple pie filling, and toss to evenly coat. Then proceed on with the recipe.
- Reserve 1/4 of the caramel sauce for topping!