Vegan Small Batch Cookie Dough Cupcakes
These molten chocolate chip cookie dough cupcakes are fluffy vanilla cupcakes that’s stuffed with edible cookie dough and topped with the cookie dough frosting!
This soft and decadent cookie dough cupcake recipe yields just 6 perfect cookie dough cupcakes with cookie dough buttercream!
You can make the batter and cookie dough with just a whisk and a large bowl.
You truly won’t believe that these cupcakes are eggless, dairy free, and vegan (oh yes, and you can make them gluten-free too!
The process is very easy! If you’ve ever made cookie dough, the process is the same! Stir in the chocolate chips until evenly distributed. Then chill the cookie dough in the fridge while you make the cupcake batter.
Allow the cupcakes to cool before frosting. Add the remaining cookie dough to the frosting and mix to combined. Then frost the cupcakes as desired!
Once baked, cool the cupcakes. Then core the top of the cupcakes. Scoop the cookie dough into 1 tbsp sized balls and then hen press the cookie dough into the cavity of the cupcakes.
If you love cupcakes and cookie dough, this recipe is the best of both worlds!
You’re just going to adore these easy and delicious molten chocolate chip cookie dough cupcakes. They’re such a treat, and the perfect portion for a small party, bridal shower, baby shower, or to split amongst friends and family!
- 1 cup (125 g) all purpose flour, heat treated
- 1 tbsp Let’s Do Organic Cornstarch
- 1/2 cup (100 g) light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup (90 g) vegan unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tbsp dairy free yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup vegan mini chocolate chips
Small Batch Cupcakes:
- 1/4 cup (56 g) vegan unsalted butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
- 7 tbsp (86 g) granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 g) vegan yogurt or vegan sour cream
- 1/2 tablespoon pure vanilla extract + 1/2 tsp vanilla powder or vanilla bean paste
- 3/4 cup + 2 tbsp (110 g) all purpose flour or gluten free 1:1 baking flour*
- 2 tsp Let’s Do Organic Cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 7 tbsp (105 mL) dairy free milk , room temperature
- 1/2 cup vegan mini chocolate chips
Vegan Cookie Dough Buttercream:
- 1 batch vegan buttercream
- Remaining cookie dough
- 1/4 cup vegan mini chocolate chips (optional, for more chocolate chips in the frosting if desired)
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a cupcake pan with 6 cupcake liners. Make sure that the flour for the cookie dough is heat-treated. If you haven’t heat-treated the flour, line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the flour for the cookie dough portion on top. Bake the flour for 5 minutes at 350F. Then remove from the oven and cool. Sift the flour before adding into your cookie dough to remove any clumps.
- Make the cookie dough first: Once the flour is heat treated, start by creaming together the vegan butter and brown sugar in a bowl, using either a whisk or a hand mixer. Then add in the dairy free yogurt, vanilla extract, and sea salt. Whisk together until combined. Then switch to a silicone spatula, and add in the cooled and sifted flour and cornstarch, and fold into the wet ingredients JUST until mixed. Sprinkle in the chocolate chips and fold just until evenly distributed.
- Chill the cookie dough: Place the cookie dough into the fridge to chill while you make the cupcake batter.
- Make the cupcake batter: In a medium bowl, whisk together the melted vegan butter, sugar, dairy free yogurt, and vanilla extract until combined. Then add in the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and sea salt. Whisk JUST until combined, stirring in the dairy free milk as you go. Then add in the chocolate chips, and stir to evenly distribute throughout the batter.
- Bake the cupcakes: Divide the batter to fill the cupcake liners about 3/4 of the way full. If you have any leftover batter, you can pour it into an extra muffin cup, but you should yield about 6 cupcakes that are nearly full. Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow the cupcakes to cool for 5-10 minutes in the cupcake tin. Then transfer to a cooling rack.
- While the cupcakes are baking: Remove the cookie dough from the fridge, and scoop the cookie dough into six 1 tbsp-sized cookie dough balls. The remainder of the cookie dough will be used for the frosting and decorations on top. If you want to scoop cookie dough balls for the top of the cupcakes, you can scoop twelve 1 tbsp-sized cookie dough balls- one cookie dough ball for the middle and one cookie dough ball for the decoration of each cupcake.
- Fill the cupcakes: After the cupcakes have been transferred to the cooling rack, use a butter knife or spoon to hollow a small hole in the top of each cupcake, where the cookie dough ball will go. Press one cookie dough ball into the cupcake hole. It’s okay if the cookie dough sticks out a bit on the top (see photos in the blog post). Cool the cupcakes completely with the cookie dough ball in them before frosting.
- Make the frosting: Prepare the vegan butter cream according to instructions. You can use a stand electric mixer or a hand mixer to make the frosting. Either works! Then add in the room temperature cookie dough to the buttercream, and mix until the cookie dough has incorporated into the buttercream.
- Frost and decorate the cupcakes: Pipe or smear the frosting onto each cupcake. Then top with the cookie dough balls, and serve!
Gluten free: Please use King Arthur Measure-for-Measure gluten free flour or a blend that contains xanthan gum.